Tuesday 17 July 2007

Unbreakable (2000)

It's been so long since I saw Unbreakable, all I could remember was the concept. I've spent a while looking for it online because when I first saw it, I didn't like it and didn't want to waste my money by buying it. When I failed, I cashed out and watched it this morning. I think this film might just manage to get into my Top Ten. It's such a powerful film both in the way it was produced as well as the content.The story was an ambitious one to sell, and it was only going to be after M. Night's first film, The Sixth Sense was a hit that a studio would ever greenlight a film like this. It's very slow, more so than even The Sixth Sense and frankly, although both the leads (Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson) are superbly underplayed for the most part, with a story as slow and different as this, it really requires powerful actors to portray these characters and balance them out.

I'm not a fan of flashbacks, as I've always found that it seems as if the writer has been struggling to tell the past of a character via dialogue and so decided to cross-cut, but here the flashbacks are sparse and do no-more than get a point across that would only drag the film out if the point were told in dialogue.

The story itself isn't anywhere near as 'twisty' as Shyamalans other efforts. The most odd premise is laid out quite early in the film and for the main part, the movie follows the characters progression trying to unravel a mystery and fit a theory to it. For a good part of the film, the plot is on stand-still, but everything shown has an impact on the film as it continues.

My favorite thing about Unbreakable was easily the tech things. Certain unconventional shots that have been used exceptionally well or little techniques that just work well. The use of filming a reflection rather than the actual scene is used a few times and seems to create an essence of distance from the characters as if you're intruding. There are some shots that are particularly effective, such as one very early in the film where the camera is moved so that train seats almost always block one of the two actors who are talking. The music is thrilling and powerful and it truly is the cherry on an already fulfilling cake. It gives an aura of power when it's needed and can really stir up emotion when needed.

I'd completely forgotten just about the entire film and I'm so pleased with it. It's a wonder M. Night Shyamalan only get's recognised for his twists when he can write such great material and translate it to the screen so well.

5/5

No comments: